A newborn photo shoot is a great way to capture the precious first moments of your baby's life. But before you book a photographer and head to the studio, there are a few things you can do to prepare.
1. Schedule your session early. Most newborn photographers book up quickly, so it's important to schedule your session as soon into your pregnancy as possible. Aim to schedule your session when your baby is between 5 and 14 days old. This is when they are still very sleepy and easy to pose.
2. Pack a diaper bag. You'll want to have everything you need for your baby, including diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, and a pacifier. You may also want to bring a snack and water for yourself.
3. Choose the right photographer. When choosing a photographer, be sure to ask about their experience with newborn photography. You should also look at their portfolio to make sure you like their style. Ask about newborn safety training that the photographer has undertaken.
4. Relax and enjoy the experience. Newborn photo shoots can be a lot of fun. Most photo shoots last from between 2- 4 hours long. Just relax and enjoy the time with your new baby. The photographer will take care of the rest.
Here are some additional tips to help you prepare for your newborn photo shoot:
- Get a good night's sleep the night before the shoot.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get to the shoot, taking into account traffic, and that it takes longer than usual to get a baby ready to leave the home.
- Eat a healthy breakfast on the day of the shoot.
- Dress in comfortable clothes that you can move around in easily.
- Bring a book or magazine to read while you're waiting for your turn.
- Be patient and understanding. Newborns can be unpredictable, so be prepared for some unexpected delays.
- Check with your photographer if you may use your phone to take photographs. Most will allow behind the scenes shots, but not pictures of the baby in posed shots-- this is what you are hiring the photographer for-- their expertise!
- If you have older siblings that will be joining in the shoot, pack snacks and things for them to do, and perhaps have your partner take them out for a walk after their part in the photo shoot, so that the child doesn't disturb your sleeping newborn photos. Check with your photographer ahead of time what her policy is. Some photographers prefer that the sibling is taken home after their part, since a 2-4 hour session can be a long time for a toddler to cope with.
- Most importantly, have fun! This is a special time in your life, so enjoy every moment.